Prophetic Focus: Fight the good fight of faith
Sermon Focus: Escaping generational curses
What is a curse?
A curse is an appeal to some supernatural power to inflict evil on someone or some group. In other words, its an evil pronouncement on a group or persons. Its a phrase used to express anger or annoyance.
Generational curse is believed to have been passed down from one generation to another due to rebellion against God. A curse has a negative effect on a person or group of people that have been caused.
Types of Curses
1. The curse of GOD (genesis 3:14-18 :- curses were laid to adam, eve and the serpent). If you are not saved, you are under a curse of God (Proverb 3:33). Disobedience attracts the curse of God. (1st Samuel 15:22). Jeremiah 17:5-6 :- Thus saith the Lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the Lord. For he shall be like the heath in the desert, and shall not see when good cometh; but shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness, in a salt land and not inhabited.
2. Curse of Man. Proverb 20:20, who curse his parents, his lamp shall be put off in darkness.
3. Curse of Law. (Deut 28:1 :- Obedience beings blessings, while disobedience brings curses.
4. Curse of Seed time and Harvest: (Genesis 8:22 :- While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.) What you do every day of your life is a seed. ‘
5. Curse of Bitterness: (Genesis 4:3-5 :- A curse was laid on Cain for killing his brother out of bitterness.). In Genesis 4:11, And now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouth to receive thy brother’s blood from thy hand;
6. Curse of the Prophet: (Luke 2:34 – And Simeon blessed them, and said unto Mary his mother, Behold, this child is set for the fall and rising again of many in Israel; and for a sign which shall be spoken against;)
When a curse moves from one generation to another, its called a generational curse.
Exodus 34:7. Curses dont visit families without a cause. If you dont know your enemy, you cannot fight.
SIGNS TO CHECK OUT FOR IF YOU ARE CURSED
1. Emotional instability: Deut 28:28. (instability, madness.)
2. Heriditory family sickness.
3. Chronic wounds.
5. Family breakdown (Divorce).
HOW DO WE BREAK THIS CURSE?
1. Isaiah 52:2: Shake thyself from the dust, arise and sit, loose thyself from jerusalem. (Job 22:21. acquaint now thyself with him an be at oeace, therefore good will come now to thee).
2. Pray heart felt prayer:
3. Invoke the mercy of God. (Pslam 51:1: have mercy upon me oh God according to thy loving kindness, and thy tender mercy)
4. Call for grace: Heb 4:16; let us therefore come unto the throne of grace that qe may obtain mercy and find grace in the sight of God
5. Plead the blood of jesus: Roman 3:23; For all have sinned and come short of the Glory of God. Hebrew 9:22.
6. Engage in hearty kingdom stewardship and soul winning.
7. Declare your release: Isaiah 43:26.